Wednesday, January 2, 2013

BAJL Day 2: Top 5 Things I miss at Disneyland

         If I was more prepared these would be in order but I didn't take the time to really think about which ones I missed more. So here are my top 5 things I miss most at Disneyland in no particular order.
      1.) Main Street Electrical Parade- I only saw this one time at Disneyland as a kid but I loved every second of it. The music gets stuck in your head forever and the floats are awesome! My favorite float is probably the Pete's Dragon (Elliott) one which breathes smoke. I am not much of a fan of parades but this one is my favorite. The Disney company brought it to California Adventure for a while but then shipped it off to Walt Disney World in Florida. Maybe someday I will get to see it on Main Street U.S.A. again.
      2.) Skyway/Skybuckets- as a kid I loved going on this with my whole family. You could see the whole park from air which was really cool. Plus, it was the only way to get me near/in the Matterhorn as I was terrified of that ride until I was a teenager.
       3.) PeopleMover- When I was a kid Disneyland always seemed slammed when we visited and the PeopleMover never had a line so we always rode it. It was just so relaxing to sight-see all of Tomorrowland. It took you through the Star Tours que, over the Submarine Lagoon and Autopia, through Space Mountain, and a super speed tunnel(Tron tunnel from what I can remember). The worst part about the removal of this attraction was that its replacement(Rocket Rods) failed and was also shut down. The tracks are still there and quite visible to guests as they gather dust and become rickity old eyesores. Everytime I see the tracks running down the main entrance to Tomorrowland I am deeply saddened.
        4.) Country Bear Jamboree- As a child I loved going to the Country Bear Playhouse in Bear Country and seeing the Country Bear Jamboree. I may not remember the words to all the songs but I really miss this attraction. It was originally created for the failed Mineral King ski resort that Walt Disney was working on. Disney then decided to put the show in the park and I'm sure glad he did. I loved the music, Teddi Berra swinging from the ceiling and the talking busts of the deer, moose, and buffalo on the wall. Sadly the show was closed and replaced by the Winnie the Pooh ride but the talking animal busts are still in the building just where they used to be. "Thank God I'm a Country Bear"
          5.) Star Tours- The Star Tours attraction may still be at Disneyland but it's not the one I am writing about. Star Tours 1.0 opened in 1987, closed in 2010, and was probably my favorite ride EVER as a kid. I miss the storyline, getting to join the attack run on the Death Star, How COOL! But what I miss most of all is Captain Rex, the droid flying the starspeeder, who was voiced by Paul Reubens aka Pee-Wee Herman. I loved the dialogue in this attraction "I have a very bad feeling about this." "Brakes!" "This was my first flight and I'm still getting used to my Programming." Plus Paul Reubens provided the voice of Max in the movie Flight of the Navigator, a childhood favorite. I got to fly in outer space in a starspeeder piloted by Pee-Wee Herman/Max, what kid could want more than that?

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I would LOVE to see Electric Light Parade again, and I misssss Country Bears!

    P.s. when did we ever ride the sky buckets???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, we rode the sky buckets with mom and dad more than once. So much fun! Maybe you were to young.

    ReplyDelete