Tuesday, January 8, 2013

BAJL Day 8: The Torture of the Optometrist

         Today I went and had my first eye exam in about a decade. I don't like doctors and I especially don't like Optometrists. This is probably because I don't  like having my eyes touched by myself, let alone a complete stranger. I don't know where my eye phobia comes from but I will just add that to my other body touching phobias. ( I am afraid of being strangled, so I don't trust anyone to touch my neck either)
         The "doctor" then proceeded to shoot me in the eye with compressed air for no other reason than to be evil. Then, he put drops in my eyes (another thing I don't like) to check my pupils. Side note: Why do the drops always make my eyes more dry? Anywho, then the Optometrist has the gall to then shine bright lights into my eyes. Ouch! I basically spent the entire exam with tears flooding out of my eyes as they were being attacked by this monster. Below is a picture of one the torturous instruments used on my poor eyes. Just looking at it and thinking about the exam is making my eyes water. :(
          Then to top it off you have to gaze through the massive view master and play the "Which is better" game. You know the one I'm talking about, "which is better? 1 or 2? 1 or 2? Now 3 or 4? 3 or 4?" Talk about stressful. It's like taking a test, I get all stressed out. I am worrying about which answer is right because they always ask " Are you sure. Do you want to see them again?" In my head I'm thinking " Oh crap, I picked the wrong one".
              In the end I learned that my eyesight has gotten worse, especially in my left eye. (Curse you left eye!) I am extremely nearsighted and have also developed an astigmatism (HOORAY! NOT!) I definitely need my glasses for driving now but he said not to wear them while reading. I have to wait a week and a half for my new specs to be ready and when I get them I will post a photo.
             I'm glad the experience is over now. I still hate the examination process. I would like to thank my father-in- law for helping us out with the cost. The exam, new frames, and new lenses (scratch and smudge resistant) will only cost me 52 bucks. So for that, I am truly grateful.

2 comments:

  1. How nice of him! That is awesome! You know you can also order glasses on coastal.com for super cheap now that you have a new script :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do know about coastal.com However, I am just worried about the frames being to large for my tiny head.

    ReplyDelete