- The center of Disneyland- there is a golden spike just after you walk through Sleeping Beauty's Castle which represents the original geographical center of the park. (Before Toontown was added)
- The read deal!- The drawbridge on the castle is not just for looks. It is a fully functioning drawbridge and has been used twice in the history of the park. The first time on opening day, July 17,1955 with the dedication of Fantasyland and again in 1983 for the re-dedication of Fantasyland after a major refurbishment.
- One of a kind- The Mark Twain Riverboat is a 5/8 scale actual functioning steam powered boat. It was the first one built in America for almost 50 years! On opening day, the boat was so overloaded with passengers that it began to sink and the bottom tier of the boat was flooded in ankle deep water. Sidenote: Alex and I wish we could have our wedding ceremony on the Mark Twain.
- Enchanted Tiki Restaurant?- The original idea for the Enchanted Tiki Room was for it to be a restaurant. But, the show became too much of a distraction from the food and the restaurant idea was scrapped. This is why The Enchanted Tiki Room is the only attraction to have its own bathrooms (They are located to the left of the entrance doors).
- Mystery of the Haunted Mansion- The exterior building (what you see from the outside) was completed in 1963 but the ride did not open until 1969. So for six long years the mansion sat there leading to rumors that the ride was open for a day but had to be shut down because it was too terrifying. Some rumors claimed that guests had to be removed from the attraction after they had heart attacks or gone into shock from being scared so badly. The truth was that with Disney's commitment to the 1964-65 Worlds Fair, all of the imagineers were busy. Then, after Disney's death in 1966, the remaining imaginears went through a power struggle over who would decide what stayed in the attraction. In the end, two different thought processes emerged, the first thought the ride should be scary, the second thought it should be fun and silly. So, the imaginears just split the attraction in half and one group got to the first half and latter group got the second half. There is a visible line in the storytelling and tone of the attraction from the foyer to the observatory than from the corridor of doors into the graveyard.
This sign was on the gate outside the mansion for 6 years!
It looks so creepy at night!
Have any Disneyland rumors you need dispelled or upheld? Let me know in the comments and I will confirm or deny the rumor. Hopefully, you have enjoyed this post. If you want me to write more of these types of post just let me know.