Friday, January 4, 2013

BAJL Day 5: Rock of Ages: Exploring my love of 80's metal

         I was born in 1986 and the first date I remember seeing is 1990 and yet somehow I am obsessed with 80's hair metal. I loved classic rock my whole life but I get ecstatic when I hear 80's metal. The other day "Round and Round" by RATT came on the radio and I was so excited that I was jumping up and down in my seat and kept turning the volume up.
          Was my mom walking the Sunset Strip while pregnant? That would explain a lot actually. Anywho, so as I am blogging I currently have my 80's metal Pandora station cranked to 11 ( because 11 is 1 more than 10). This gave me the inspiration for today's blog, my top 6 (because I couldn't narrow it down to 5) favorite hair metal bands. Let's Do This!!!
         
        6.) RATT- This band sadly didn't have another single top "Round and Round" but I still enjoy all their other songs. Another of my favorites is "You're In Trouble".
        5. ) Poison- Not much to say except about this juggernaught of a band that you don't already know. I love the songs "Ain't Nothin But a Good Time", "Unskinny Bop", and "Talk Dirty to Me".
         4.) Def Leppard- My wife and I both love Def Leppard and anytime one of their songs comes on we crank it up and sing together. Some of my favorites include "Pour Some Sugar On Me", "Photograph", "Rock of Ages", and "Foolin'".
          3.) Bon Jovi- Someday my best friend Michael Magvas and I will sing "Dead or Alive" for karaoke. Everyone likes Bon Jovi, my mom, your mom, pretty much all straight women as he is one handsome dude. This band has written some timeless songs such as "Livin' on A Prayer", "Bad Medicine", and "I'll Be There For You". I have not heard one Bon Jovi song I don't like and apparently the public hasn't either as they are still sucessfully releasing albums to this day.
            2.) Mötley Crüe - This band epitomizes 80's metal. Their songs focus around the excess of the times, drugs, skanky women, and rock music. I didn't hear a lot of music by the Crüe at home ( I wonder why?) So my love of their music is a new thing. Some of their best songs include "Kickstart My Heart", " Dr. Feelgood", and "Girls, Girls, Girls".
             1.) Van Halen- Van Halen is the best simply because of Eddy Van Halen. That dude can shred like few can. Don't get Van Halen confused with Van Hagar. I don't have anything against Sammy Hagar, I like his solo work, but he is no Diamond Davide Lee Roth. Great songs by Van Halen include "Hot for Teacher", "Ain't Talkin' About Love", "The Cradle Will Rock", "Unchained", "Panama", and "Runnin' With the Devil".
      There you have it folks. Leave a comment about your favorite hair metal bands and songs. Oh and as a side note the reason that Guns N Roses are not mentioned is simply because I don't classify them as hair metal.  Honorable mentions include Whitesnake, Cinderella, Warrant, and Quiet Riot.

4 comments:

  1. Great choices! I love me some Halen and Jovi! Jon just gets better with AGE! Mm! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Metallica? Didn't they have the hair before the lead singer cut it in 90's?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have sparked my memory-Skid Row? Remember Yesterday, 18 and Life? love that band!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Skid Row and Metallica but I don't consider Metallica as a hair metal band.

    ReplyDelete